Make an Appointment -
Use the location dropdown to specify where the appointment will take place. Selecting a different location will reload the appointment dates and times that are available to be booked.
Make an appointment in 3 steps.
Step 1: Select a staff member.
Step 2: Select an available date.
Step 3: Select an available timeslot.
In-person Academic Skills appointment
Philip Robinson Library, Level 2.
The Academic Skills Team offers one to one support to help you address a range of different academic skills with one of our expert tutors:
A 50-minute one-to-one appointment with an Academic Skills tutor allows you to discuss in-depth issues and queries related to your studies and learning, from the early stages of planning your work on an assignment to drafting and editing your writing.
If you would prefer an online appointment, book your online one-to-one here.
The calendar shows all currently available appointments. If you cannot find an appointment to match your availability, it is worth keeping an eye on this page for any cancellations or other updates. You will recieve a booking confirmation and booking reminder email once your appointment is confirmed. You may need to check your junk mail folder to find these.
We’re experts in helping you develop the academic skills you’ll need for your programme. This means we can support you and offer guidance on a wide range of topics, including: e.g.
- Academic writing
- Academic reading techniques
- Taking useful notes
- Revising for exams
- Managing your time effectively
However, for some other types of questions, we recommend you speak to some of our colleagues:
- For questions about finding and citing the sources you need (e.g., searching databases; referencing; using software like Endnote), please contact our expert Liaison Librarians
- For questions about job applications (e.g., writing CVs and cover letters; preparing for interviews), please contact Newcastle University Careers Service
- For questions about advanced stages of postgraduate research degrees (e.g., writing for publication; addressing academic conferences), please consult your supervisor.
- For technical support (e.g., questions about formatting your written work) please contact Newcastle University IT Service
- If you’re not sure which team to contact, please complete the booking form and provide as much information as possible. This will help us to direct your query to the most suitable team.
We recommend you only book one appointment at a time. Your tutor will be able to give you advice on booking a follow-up during your one-to-one session.
Please note that we do not offer a proofreading service. However, we are able to read a portion of your work and give feedback on aspects of grammar and style. We’ll also focus on helping you develop effective proofreading strategies that you can then apply to your work.
Frequently asked questions
> What should I do if there are no available appointments for me to book?
> How many one-to-one appointments can I have?